[Talk-us] Tagging of county roads

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Wed May 26 06:55:33 BST 2010

On 26 May 2010, at 24:25 , Alan Mintz wrote:
> It seems that the county road number should go in the ref tag, and this is
> what I've seen in some cases, but where should the county and state go?
> I've used is_in:county and is_in:state_code in the past for other things
> (like bridges and mileposts), but people don't seem to like these, and
> they're not exactly right - I'm not trying to say where the roads are, just
> complete the reference tag with what's on the signage.

you answered already, is_in is wrong for this purpose. the ref tag is the place to use.

> Currently, for example, I'd tag Santiago Canyon Road in Orange County, CA, as:
>
> highway=secondary
> ref=S18
> is_in:county=Orange
> is_in:state_code=CA

what does the S mean in the ref? is it a state route or a county road?
I think most use CA for state hw. It's hard to tell if this is correct. Even hw shields are inconsistent. most shields in california use the number only but some shields and official documents use other abbrev like SR.
I think to match the what's on the ground rule we should change CA to SR, but it's very common across US already and only if there is a broad consensus this should be done

> Does it make sense to add a network=US:CA:Orange tag (like the relation)
> instead of the is_in:* tags?

this is as wrong as is_in tags, someone invented it to tag for a renderer. network=Orange should be sufficient and correct.