[Talk-us] Tagging of county roads

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Fri May 28 16:04:56 BST 2010

* Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> [2010-05-28 01:31 -0400]:
> I don't know why there hasn't been any work on rendering U.S. Highway
> and Interstate shields with a simple pattern match of "US *" and "I *";
> it doesn't need to be perfect, just a reasonable outline.

I've figured that this is a good task for using route relations for
rendering, largely because they have the network and the reference number
broken out separately (plus there's the symbol= tag).  Playing with this
is on my list of "things to experiment with in Mapnik", though I current;y
have some other stuff I'm working on first.

I've seen that the TopOSM people are rendering US Highway and Interstate
shields, but I haven't looked to see how they're doing it yet.

--- --
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a face-to-face conversation.
                       -- yosemite, in a post on Kuro5hin