[Talk-us] Tagging bicycle anti-routes

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 20:22:29 GMT 2010

If there's a specific intersection or stretch of road that's hazardous
to a law-abiding cyclist, consider cycle_hazard=* (like
cycle_hazard=door zone or cycle_hazard=bike lane to right of right
turn lane).

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
> As with many OSM tags, there are objective items to begin the
> categorization.  The final decision though will be at least partly
> subjective.   Class:bicycle is a good start.  Perhaps list specific features
> as a base for the ranking, then things that would drop that to lower
> rankings.
>
> An example of what I mean for starting values.
>
> separate paved bike/general path = +3
> road with bike lane = +2
> road with bike route= +1
> road with a good shoulder / bike friendly sidewalk = 0

We shouldn't take sides in the debate over bike facilities. In places
where use of a bike lane is mandatory, a street without one can be
safer than one with, since a cyclist on the former is able to cycle
defensively. (A sidepath is even worse - since it's not part of the
actual road, a safe cyclist has to yield to turning traffic at every
intersection and driveway.)

We already tag most of the above, and a router can create its own
values based on whether the user wants to ride in the gutter or in the
general purpose lane. shoulder=paved seems like an obvious tag for
that purpose, and I'm not sure what you mean by a 'bike friendly
sidewalk'.