[Talk-us] Tagging bicycle anti-routes

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 23:49:10 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 03:22 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> If there's a specific intersection or stretch of road that's hazardous
>> to a law-abiding cyclist, consider cycle_hazard=* (like
>> cycle_hazard=door zone or cycle_hazard=bike lane to right of right
>> turn lane).
>
> The problem with this answer is that it can't be machine parsed.

Not everything needs to be machine-parsed, but if following the law
puts cyclists in danger (they have to ride in the door zone, for
example) we could use a different tag (cycle_danger=yes?).
cycle_hazard would be more for "this might be bad if you're a
beginning cyclist and think the bike lane/gutter will protect you".

> There's currently a tagging proposal with some live usage on access tags
> for "preferred" and "avoid."
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/avoid

Which everyone but you agrees that you're misusing (tagging streets on
which cycling is legal and safe with bicycle=avoid just because they
lack bike lanes or shoulders).