[Talk-us] stop signs

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Nov 7 03:53:08 GMT 2010

SteveC writes:
 > Therefor I propose stop signs go on the intersection and save a lot of hassle with the tag
 >
 > 	highway=stop
 >
 > and in addition, has the road it applies to
 >
 > 	stop=all
 >
 > is explicit and implied on any node without an explicit 'all' tag.
 >
 > If it's just one street at the crossing of Bonkers Road and Moronic Parkway then you can do
 >
 > 	stop=Bonkers Road
 >
 > to indicate that it's a two way stop on just that road of the intersection.
 >
 > Thoughts?

That doesn't work if Bonkers Road only has a stop sign on one side. I
know that some people don't like it, but I prefer the cardinal
directions specification:
    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:stop

It's unambiguous, and if somebody comes up with a better idea, can be
machine parsed and translated into the new scheme.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog