[Talk-us] Proposal: delete census-designated place polygons

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 12:00:40 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That's just not the case.
>>>
>>> Look at my town of  Silver Spring, Maryland
>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Spring,_Maryland), and where I
>>> work, Bethesda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda,_Maryland).
>>
>> Um... the place has real world significance. The specific boundaries
>> chosen by the Census Bureau don't.
>
> Except they do. I know where Silver Spring is and I know where
> Bethesda is. I even know where "North Bethesda" is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Spring,_Maryland#Geography
"The definitions used by the Silver Spring Urban Planning District,
the United States Postal Service, the Greater Silver Spring Chamber of
Commerce, etc., are all different, each defining it for its own
purposes."
Which one do you "know"?