[Talk-us] Proposal: delete census-designated place polygons

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 12:10:32 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Spring,_Maryland#Geography
>> "The definitions used by the Silver Spring Urban Planning District,
>> the United States Postal Service, the Greater Silver Spring Chamber of
>> Commerce, etc., are all different, each defining it for its own
>> purposes."
>> Which one do you "know"?
>
> If you feel like adding in the polygons for the other administrations,
> then go ahead, but the Census one is the "generally accepted" value.
Perhaps things are different in Maryland, but I know the CDP
boundaries near me are not "generally accepted" in any way. Lake
Butler is a lake, not a neighborhood. The sign for Dr. Phillips is
several miles south of south boundary of the CDP. Holden Heights is
outside the CDP with that name.

> The original point was you wanted to find area which would be
> negatively impacted by your proposal. People have shown you several
> now.

People have shown me how they feel CDP boundaries are useful, for
instance in mitigating the fact that Nominatim sucks. I will choose to
ignore this for those CDPs where I have firsthand knowledge of their
bogosity.