[Talk-us] Proposal: delete census-designated place polygons

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Nov 12 12:29:49 GMT 2010

On 11/12/10 12:21 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Daniel Sabo<danielsabo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> and the name that you would use to search for an address these communities.
> Maybe, maybe not. Often the USPS uses a nearby incorporated place, and
> the CDP name would not be valid. Sometimes the actual incorporated
> community that has jurisdiction over a place is not accepted by the
> USPS.
USPS delivery routes often only vaguely follow incorporation boundaries.
the effect is particularly evident here in upstate NY, where i live in the
town of Sand Lake, but receive my postal mail from the Averill Park
Post Office (Averill Park is an unincorporated, named hamlet about 3
miles away) and so have an Averill Park postal address. that's just one
example, it's like that all over the state.

richard