[Talk-us] FEMA seeking ideas for community disaster preparedness

Lord-Castillo, Brett BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com
Thu Nov 18 14:45:51 GMT 2010

Remember that the goal here is community preparedness, not disaster response. What happened in Haiti was a great use of OSM, but that was response, not preparedness. If you are going to do community based mapping, the most valuable thing to map is critical facilities and vulnerable populations.

Hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, day cares, public and private schools, churches, shelters, police stations and substations, fire stations, city halls, enclosed malls, libraries, businesses with disaster supplies, officially designated heating and cooling sites, etc.

I spend a lot of my time mapping these locations (especially private schools, since even defining a school is tricky). This is a critical element in disaster planning, and can greatly help community members in making their own individual disaster plans.

Another idea would be to map locations in community BEOPs (basic emergency operations plans) and POD (point of distribution) plans. This would require people going to emergency management offices to get these plans, but often key locations in these plans are not mapped out. Having these locations mapped out and linked in some way back to the BEOPs and POD plans would greatly help community groups, businesses, and individuals with their own disaster plans.

Charting hazards is not a good idea. There is a huge amount of liability that goes with designating hazards, and it should only be done by licensed engineers and similar professionals in their insured professional capacity. I have seen firsthand how small errors in those respects can create tens of thousands of dollars of costs overruns (or even millions in the case of earthquake liquefaction mitigation).
--Brett

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017