[Talk-us] NoName and Roundabouts

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 03:17:04 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Val Kartchner <val42k at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 00:13 -0800, Gregory Arenius wrote:
> > Although most roundabouts aren't considered to be part of a way I
> > there might be some that are named or are considered to be part of one
> > of the attached streets.  I would just tag the unnamed roundabouts
> > with noname=yes so that its explicit that they are unnamed.  NoName
> > render recognizes the tag as well so it won't render as an error.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Greg
>
> I've tagged the roundabouts as you've suggested.  I'll see how it comes
> out.  For a while there, NoName hadn't been rendering.  How quickly does
> NoName render now?  Why was the MapLint layer removed from Potlatch?
>
> > On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 16:16 -0500, Dale Puch wrote:
> > Should it be marked?  probably not, but here are two other
> > suggestions.
> > Depending on the situation, perhaps use a mini-roundabout, or make the
> > roundabout a split 1-way section in the main road.
>
> What do you mean that it shouldn't be marked?

I meant tagged with a name, my fault for not being clear.

> I didn't mark it as a
> mini-roundabout because it does not fit this description from the wiki:
> "The mini-roundabout usually does not have an island in the middle but
> is painted on the road."

Not arguing, just trying to present possible alternatives for limited
situations.  For an example, this  is what I was thinking of for the
mini-roundabout despite it having an actual island.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&ll=28.550981,-81.373233&spn=0.000828,0.00167&t=h&z=20

And here is a bigger I would consider a full roundabout.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&t=h&ll=28.533968,-81.182785&spn=0.001584,0.003339&z=19

 I also didn't do a split one-way because the
> roundabout isn't really either of the ways but a special junction of the
> two ways.

That one I was thinking as more of a hack/workaround than a good suggestion,
and I would not even consider it unless one way was definitely predominant.

> I also like that with the Garmin maps (though not the OSM-derived Garmin
> maps) you will be told which exit (relative to where you enter) to use
> for exit.
>
> My comments are how I've been tagging roundabouts.  This is certainly
> open for someone changing my mind though.  That's most of the reason I
> ask here.
>
> - Val -

The real problem is a roundabout is made of ways, but functionally is used
as a junction.  The OSM design just does not seem to match.

--
Dale Puch