[Talk-us] SOTM bid- Denver

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 18:56:15 BST 2010

I think the bid is very promising and would be happy to come to Denver

Being strawman here, putting some issues and questions out...

Take a look at Haifa's Wikimania bid page, and perhaps fill in some
more details like what they provided

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2011/Bids/Haifa

Especially, visas are going to be a concern.  What is the team going
to do to help facilitate getting visas and dealing with inevitable
troubles

Also more specifics about venue... sounds like it's up in the air?
Which is the most likely or best option of those listed? What
buildings would we be in?what kind of space is there for plenary
sessions? Social space?  The dates for the conference are September---
during the fall semester. Will this be a problem? Is the venue
available for the dates?

Sponsorships... Do we have any sponsors committed yet? Maybe ad
contigency of a winning bid?

Travel - SOTM has previously been held in Europe, which make it easier
for OSM volunteers in Europe (much larger community) to attend. Could
we this year raise some sponsorship money to fund scholarships to
bring OSM volunteers to SOTM who otherwise cannot afford to attend.
Previous scholarships were only for people from developing countries,
which is good but let's do more. Wikimedia funds 40-50 volunteers to
attend Wikimania, plus people funded by wikimedia chapters, and that
makes the conference more inclusive

Also take a look at last years SOTM bids for Barcelona that proposed
doing FOSS4G and SOTM back to back. What were the reasons why the
committee decided against it?  For Denver, make sure to address any
concerns that there might be about this

Katie

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 12, 2010, at 1:12 PM, "Coast, Hurricane" <hurricane.coast at mapquest.com