[Talk-us] US highway tagging (was: [OSM-talk] Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap)

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 17:00:13 BST 2010

OK, a metaphorical gauntlet has been thrown down, and Richard makes great
points.  That said, is there any chance the US community can find some
agreement about highway tagging?  And once we do, we can broker the
Israel-Palestine peace talks. :)

But seriously, it seems like we need some sort of structured process for a
group to look at the options, find compromises, make a decision, and then
have a uniform scheme for US roads across the wiki (and hopefully the data
will follow...).  What has happened up to now with wiki proposals on
different pages and email discussions hasn't resolved the issue for whatever
reason.  Maybe the OSMF-US (or a working group, or some organizationally
smart person on this list) could come up with a process and timeline as a
way to focus the conversation and move to a resolution?

My $.02, Brad