Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Fri Oct 15 18:58:44 BST 2010

* Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> [2010-10-15 13:32 -0400]:
> > Should we use the postal code everywhere for nationwide consistency or
> > should we use the prefixes that locals use?  If we use postal codes, what
> > should we do about county or town roads?
>
> We should use no prefix for state roads to make shield adoption
> easier. We place everything in a generic shape unless it has a prefix;
> since state roads would be in a generic shape anyway, it's pointless
> to add a prefix.

I disagree with this.  I would like to be able to do state-specific
shields, and putting a state prefix in is a) not incorrect and b) allows
for easy disambiguation of *which* state network the road belongs to.  I
realize that is also kind of an argument for the "postal abbreviation"
approach, since the "local usage" approach can be ambiguous.

From the perspective of keeping the current rendering, I think it makes
more sense to put some prefix in.  Since everything currently gets the
same type of shield, differing only in color, having an appropriate prefix
makes network membership a lot more obvious.

If you do want to go without having a prefix for state roads, what do you
propose for county, town, or other more local roads?

--- --
Bless them which persecute you; bless, and curse not.  Be not overcome of
evil, but overcome evil with good.
                       -- Paul the apostle