Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Fri Oct 15 19:25:56 BST 2010

* Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> [2010-10-15 13:32 -0400]:
> > I haven't seen this around me, but apparently there are roads that use the
> > initials of the road's name as a ref=.  Is this in keeping with the other
> > uses of ref=, i.e. that the road is a member of a particular network and
> > this is the road's designation within that network?  If not, if it's just
> > the initials of a major road, my opinion is that it probably shouldn't
> > have a ref= tag.
>
> These are signed with special shields. Some do have the text in a
> shield (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Meadowbrook_Pkwy_Shield.svg
> would be ref=M) while others have more complicated shields
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Garden_State_Parkway_shield.png
> would be GSP).

Those are interesting examples.  Taking them in order, the Meadowbrook
Parkway is part of the New York State Parkway System, which appears to me
to be a subset of the state highway system, especially since it does have
an (unsigned) highway reference number.  I'm not familiar enough with New
York to make definitive calls on their numbering, but since more than half
the state parkways don't have obvious reference text on their signs (just
the name) and the rest have the full name in addition to one or two
letters, I wouldn't tag ref= on any of them (since the actual reference
number is unsigned).  Instead, I would treat it as a road that needed a
custom shield, if any shield was rendered at all.  I'll note that Google,
Bing, and Mapquest all appear to have punted on this; none of them renders
any shield at all on it.

For the Garden State Parkway, I would consider it also to be a road that
would need a custom shield, if anything, since its actual reference number
is unsigned.

Note that both of those cases do have their names rendered.  I don't think
that anything is lost by not rendering a ref= tag for either of them.

I'll also stress that I don't have a local's perspective on either of
these roads.  I'm basing my statements primarily on information from
Wikipedia and also from the map renderings of Mapquest, Google, and Bing.
I'd be interested to hear what locals think and to know what local paper
maps do for these roads.

--- --
In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at
heart.
                       -- Anne Frank, 15th July, 1944