Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 20:55:59 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...discussions on the mailing list tend to wander all over the place and
> > lead to no conclusions or decisions being made. If we meet in a phone
> > conference call or even in a chat room then we can get more done. E-mails
> > are by design non-comittal and standoffish while real time chats can have
> > bit more impact.
>
> OK, but then you're only forming a consensus of the people who are
> there, rather than all interested parties.

Surely we're missing plenty of people by only having a discussion on the
mailing list? SoTM.US proved to me that there are orders of magnitude more
people interested in OSM in the US than are signed up for talk-us.

The difference is that the people who care enough to talk about it and form
a consensus between those on talk-us and maybe even a phone call or two are
the ones that will actually make the changes to the wiki and renderers. It's
not that there's "one consensus" it's whoever gets a consensus faster and
(most importantly) implements it.