Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 21:04:26 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> Surely we're missing plenty of people by only having a discussion on the
> mailing list? SoTM.US proved to me that there are orders of magnitude more
> people interested in OSM in the US than are signed up for talk-us.
> The difference is that the people who care enough to talk about it and form
> a consensus between those on talk-us and maybe even a phone call or two are
> the ones that will actually make the changes to the wiki and renderers. It's
> not that there's "one consensus" it's whoever gets a consensus faster and
> (most importantly) implements it.

You're getting a consensus of those who can get past the higher
barrier to entry. It's relatively easy to join a mailing list. It's
also relatively easy to use IRC, though you have to be free at the
proper time. It's a bit harder to participate in a phone conversation
- again you can't have anything else scheduled then, and you need
either a microphone or a willingness to pay for a long-distance call,
plus the ability to understand various accents (or half the meeting
will be "can you please repeat that? can you speak more clearly?").