Al Haraka alharaka at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 21:33:32 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
> There are some people where IRC is a higher barrier to entry than a
> phone call.  All that aside though I think key is just to have some
> level of consensus and then have the information available in a clear
> place.
>
> New people don't care about arguing about tags, they just want to know
> how to map.  By making that easier and having standards documented in
> a clear way they will.
>
> -Kate

Kate, I understand where you are going with this, but I think the wiki
is pretty clear on how low the barrier to entry can be if there is a
web-based IRC-client.

http://irc.openstreetmap.org/

I personally dislike the idea of disposing of one avenue of
communication because of "barrier to entry."  I would say in this case
it means the people in the channel or on the call care enough to put
in an effort.  Either way, it costs time or money, regardless of the
choice.  I personally prefer IRC only for the reason that it is easy
to document everything that is said and done with minimal effort.
Someone has to take notes on a phone call, and sometimes those notes
can be inadequate or inaccurate.  That is my only reservation.  Of
course, IRC has its own downsides.

Whatever is decided, I welcome the idea of organizing.  I too am very
concerned about knowing how to map, and I see this as a positive
development.  Thanks to everyone for getting motivated about this.