[Talk-us] Project of the Week / Month

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Oct 15 22:03:59 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Al Haraka <alharaka at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a kind of related note, can anyone report how effective the Project
> of the Week initiative is?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week

Funny you should ask.

Trackability isn't the main goal for PotW, but is a point of interest
for Project of the Month.  The first PotM is in progress now.  We'll
have graphs showing contributions.  For example:

http://weait.com/osmwaterpt-month.png

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week/2010/Sep_29

The current Project of the Week (Use Potlatch2 and give feedback) has
ancedotal indications of success; The Potlatch2 developers say they
are getting more feedback.  \o/  Yay!

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week/2010/Oct_13

I think I'm pretty stern on judging the success of PotW and PotM.  For
improvement, I'd like to see more participation on all levels;
- I'd like to see more folks submitting complete projects ready for
publishing.
- I'd like to see more folks adding PotW/M to their regular editing.
- I'd like to see more discussion and suggestions on the proposals page.

But I know that I can't always have everything that I'd like. ;-)

Things I like about PotW/M:
- I think it is fantastic that some PotW/M get translated into other
languages.
- It's great that suggestions from the community lead to Project of the Month.

And it's nice that you are asking.  Thanks.  :-)