[Talk-us] Project of the Week / Month

Al Haraka alharaka at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 22:22:42 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Al Haraka <alharaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On a kind of related note, can anyone report how effective the Project
>> of the Week initiative is?
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week
>
> Funny you should ask.
>
> Trackability isn't the main goal for PotW, but is a point of interest
> for Project of the Month.  The first PotM is in progress now.  We'll
> have graphs showing contributions.  For example:
>
> http://weait.com/osmwaterpt-month.png
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week/2010/Sep_29

First off, thanks for appropriately changing the thread subject line.
This is very cool, and I am glad you responded, Richard!

> The current Project of the Week (Use Potlatch2 and give feedback) has
> ancedotal indications of success; The Potlatch2 developers say they
> are getting more feedback.  \o/  Yay!

I would hope so.  I just tried it myself just because of that.  I will
try to get more involved in both weekly and monthly projects from now
on.

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week/2010/Oct_13
>
> I think I'm pretty stern on judging the success of PotW and PotM.  For
> improvement, I'd like to see more participation on all levels;
> - I'd like to see more folks submitting complete projects ready for
> publishing.
> - I'd like to see more folks adding PotW/M to their regular editing.
> - I'd like to see more discussion and suggestions on the proposals page.
>
> But I know that I can't always have everything that I'd like. ;-)

I think these are all great ideas.  For the benefit of the list, what
do you see as a complete project?  I will try to add proposals if I
can think of some, and work on the obvious points like participating.
Haha.  As the Stones said, if you try sometimes . . .