Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Sat Oct 16 06:12:57 BST 2010

Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>     > ...discussions on the mailing list tend to wander all over the place and
>     > lead to no conclusions or decisions being made. If we meet in a phone
>     > conference call or even in a chat room then we can get more done.
>     E-mails
>     > are by design non-comittal and standoffish while real time chats can
>     have a
>     > bit more impact.
>
>     OK, but then you're only forming a consensus of the people who are
>     there, rather than all interested parties.
>
> Surely we're missing plenty of people by only having a discussion on the
> mailing list? SoTM.US proved to me that there are orders of magnitude more
> people interested in OSM in the US than are signed up for talk-us.

+1

I only got on the mailing lists 2 weeks ago because I wanted to ask a
question to dev.  If you come in to OSM by reading the wiki, it appears
as though all the discussion happens on talk pages.  There's nothing at
all indicating that the mailing list is where it's at.
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \