[Talk-us] State Route relations (was: Highway Tagging Consensus toImprove OSM (and address some of 41 latitude's concerns))

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Sat Oct 16 12:12:33 BST 2010

> I'd love to see a consensus on how to tag these roads come pretty
> quickly, as I'll need to have something finished in less than 2 months
> (school schedules are rough, man!).

  I would say that the result of your project will be usable even if we
change our mind.   Once relations have been established, they can also be
updated by a bot also.

> One thing I /haven't/ seen addressed yet is whether single relations are
> preferred, or one relation for each way with a super-relation.
> Currently both are in use, but I think it would be a lot easier for
> future code if we pick one and move towards it from now on.

   The current preferred convention is one relation per state, with a
super-relation for all.  Some people are converting existing road route
relations, but it takes time.     The reason is to minimize editing
conflicts across long distances where it is likely that 2 or more people
will be splitting a roadway to add attributes at the same time.