[Talk-us] State Route relations (was: Highway Tagging Consensus to Improve OSM (and address some of 41 latitude's concerns))

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 15:33:26 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:
> This seems relevant to this thread, although it's not in reply to any
> particular part of it:
>
> As part of a school project, I'm creating a robot that will use the
> TIGER metadata to automatically attempt to create route relations for
> State Roads.  (The Interstates and US Highways are mostly finished, it
> seems, but there are tens of thousands of state routes that haven't been
> touched.)

TIGER's state highway data is pretty horrible. For example, in
Florida, there are many so-called state roads that were given to the
counties in the 1980s. It seems most have been fixed, but here's an
example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=30.4537&lon=-85.2118&zoom=14&layers=M

You also have major problems in towns, where a route doesn't make a
turn like it should.