[Talk-us] State Route relations (was: Highway Tagging Consensus to Improve OSM (and address some of 41 latitude's concerns))

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Sat Oct 16 23:05:02 BST 2010

Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> writes:

> It's certainly a bad idea to add the auto-created relations to the
> database

You're not the first person to say this.  You're also not the first
person to fail to give a reason why it would be so terrible.

> Florida already has a full set of relations:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Florida/State_road_relations
>
> But if this weren't so, your tool would create a large number of
> incorrect relations.

I'm told Michigan is also complete.  That's 2 states out of 50, and I
know some of the rest aren't finished, or even really started.

Having a robot group roads into relations is no different from what's
being done now, where people do bits and pieces at a time, possibly
incorrectly.  See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state)/State_Highway_Relations#State_Highways

Since there's been so much opposition, I'm not currently planning to
upload directly to the database; as a compromise I'm planning to publish
changesets and let people integrate them manually.
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \