[Talk-us] State Route relations (was: Highway Tagging Consensus to Improve OSM (and address some of 41 latitude's concerns))

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Sun Oct 17 16:45:56 BST 2010

Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:
>> Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> It's certainly a bad idea to add the auto-created relations to the
>>> database
>>
>> You're not the first person to say this.  You're also not the first
>> person to fail to give a reason why it would be so terrible.
>
> It would be, quite literally, vandalism: adding information that you
> know to be incorrect.

Is incomplete information incorrect?  If so, we've got an awful lot of
human vandals.

What makes you think human mappers get everything right all the time?  I
believe you're the one who added all the Florida state route
relations... did you actually drive over every mile of road to verify it
before adding it to the relation?  Or did you look at the data on the
map (name=, tiger:base_name=, ref=, etc) and create relations from that?
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \