Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 22:46:17 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
>> On 10/18/2010 04:16 PM, Anthony wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess renderers are going to be wrong or now.
>>>
>>> "For now" shouldn't last too long, though.  Just remove the ref info
>>> from the ways, and the renderers will likely get their act together
>>> rather quickly.
>>
>> I for one would consider that to be vandalism.
>
> Perhaps, but you'd be wrong.

I would also consider it to be vandalism. The ref tags on ways, if
nothing else, provide a level of redundancy. It's too easy to
accidentally break a relation; for example
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/5980437 removed
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/80643754 and
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/80643765 from three relations
(84533, 398569, and 399254). Here it's relatively easy to fix (once
one notices the problem), but in a congested city center it might not
be clear which road the relation was supposed to be on.