Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 01:50:36 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Nope. They're not, because relation membership is not a tag on the
> >> way.
> >
> > Yes, they are, because a relation membership and new way (with new tags
> and
> > node refs) are both completely separate new entities that need to be
> > uploaded. If an editor can reliably do it with a new way then it can also
> > reliably do it with a new relation member.
>
> When a way is downloaded from the API, its tags are all downloaded,
> but a separate API query has to be sent to get any referring
> relations.

Presumably if you are splitting a way you will have already downloaded at
least the one relation way member that you want to split.

> >> A way is always uploaded with its tags,
> >
> > Yes, but the new (split) way is not necessarily always uploaded.
>
> Relations are uploaded after new ways to avoid precondition failures.
> Thus it's much more likely that a connection will fail between the way
> and the relation than between two ways. I've seen Potlatch take
> several tries to upload a large relation, which compounds the possible
> problem. It's also obvious from the map when a portion of a way is
> accidentally deleted, but even if relations were used to render
> shields an error would not always be obvious.

If the renderer uses route relations to render roads, why would errors be
any less obvious than when ways were used?

> I have seen these problems in my work on repairing relations. Do you
> have any such experience?

I have been offering suggestions to solve the route problems in the original
thread. Do you have any such suggestions?