Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Oct 19 21:53:01 BST 2010

On 10/19/2010 03:27 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
> So to get back to the basics of this thread... I think we can all
> agree that we should (and are) using relations to represent highway
> routes and that we need to get renderer support for route relations
> ASAP.

+1

> So then the question is what tags to use on relations.

All documented long ago at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route (especially
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Tags )

> There does seem to be some debate about county roads. I would probably
> throw my vote in with something like "network=US:KS:Riley"

Yup, there’s debate about that.

I’d prefer something like US:KS:CTH or US:KS:COUNTY.  Or even US:KS:CR,
though I don’t like the two-character code as it looks just like a state
abbreviation.

IMO, connecting the road to the county should be done with a relation
(super-relation actually) between the route and the boundary of the
applicable county.

> I do have one question: Is it acceptable/proper to have a name=* tag
> on a relation? I have seen it on some and have actually used it a
> couple of times - for example "name=KS 18"

It is incorrect on a route relation unless it does have a name, like
“The Joe Q. Bloggs Memorial Parkway” or something like that.

> The only advantage I see is that it makes things easier to read in
> editors and when browsing data since the name tag is used when
> displaying relations in lists or listing what relations a way is part
> of instead of just showing the numeric ID. But this is a case of
> tagging for tools so I could see reasonable objections to it.

Exactly.  The tools should be improved.  The interface for relations in
josm (not sure about potlatch) is atrocious.

> Let's focus on getting a concrete system in place that we
> can go beat the rendering people over the head with. I think if we as
> a US community come out with a solid plan and say "we need this now"
> people will listen.

We’ve had one for a long time.  What’s needed is for someone to do the
hard (“trivial” as Anthony would say) work of actually making use of the
plan.

—Alex Mauer “hawke”