Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 22:14:12 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > For example, Kansas highway 18:
> > type = route
> > route = road
> > network = US:KS
> > ref = 18
> > (optional?) symbol=* tag
>
> Also an optional wikipedia link.
>
> > There does seem to be some debate about county roads. I would probably
> > throw my vote in with something like "network=US:KS:Riley"
>
> +1

As I've mentioned further up this thread we need a way to specify what sort
of route it is. There's no easy way to determine if it's a US/State/County
route from the proposed set of tags.

> So, there seems to be utility for both.  The question is, what happens
> when both a way and a relation have name= set, and they don't match?

For the most part, I doubt route relations will be used for rendering names
(only shields), so I don't know that we should worry about the name too
much.