[Talk-us] Do City Labels look funny to you?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 23:00:08 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Mike N. <niceman at att.net> wrote:

> Tom Hughes, OSM contributor and infrastructure guru has written an
>> interesting summary of why some part of OSM can look strange.
>>
>> http://compton.nu/2010/10/city-labels-in-openstreetmap/
>>

> Sounds like a good project for a bot to correct to the OSM norm?

On the contrary: I say all these critiques indicate the need for a
US-specific rendering of the map that does things in a more United States-ey
way.

- Non-rectangular highway shields
- Colors that are closer to what most other US road maps
- More granular city name placement based closer on population than on the
place tag
- Support for route relations