Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Oct 19 23:52:39 BST 2010

On 10/19/2010 05:24 PM, Peter Budny wrote:
> Alex Mauer<hawke at hawkesnest.net>  writes:
>> You could also add a link to an SVG icon for the shield rendering into
>> the county boundary relation, so it would only be need to be changed
>> in once place.  (I know linking to such things is a little iffy
>> though)
>
> I'd support this, too... for generic shields that look like "put numbers
> inside an outline of the state" we could do this, and then handle the
> exceptions as such, but I'd be quite happy right now just to have
> ordinary symbol= tags rendered.

There was (is) some work done (I think by JohnSmith) to get this sort of
thing done.  Wikipedia has some blank SVGs with placeholder digits which
can be substituted; it’s not hard at all with the appropriate fonts to
make that bit work, or to modify an existing numbered SVG.  Only problem
is that you generally need a different sign for 3-digit vs. 2-digit
signs (and sometimes 1-digit signs as well).

>>> However, there are many stretches of road that are designated "Col. John
>>> Q Public Memorial Highway" or something like that.  It only applies to
>>> part of the route (the whole route through a state, or maybe just a
>>> bridge or an intersection).  In that case, it belongs on the ways, not
>>> the route.
>>
>> Yup, or on another route relation.
>
> What, so make the route relation contain sub-relations for each distinct
> stretch of road, recursively, until it gets down to single ways that
> can't be combined (e.g. due to different bridge/tunnel tags, speed
> limits, etc)?

It could be done that way, but I was thinking of a more single-level
approach:

<route>
  <network="US:I"/>
  <ref="XX"/>
  <members>
   <way1/>
   <way2/>
   <way3/>
   <way4/>
   <way5/>
   <way6/>
  </members>
</route>
<route>
   <name="John Q. Public Memorial Highway"/>
   <members>
     <way3/>
     <way4/>
   </members>
</route>
<route>
   <name="Joe Bloggs Interchange"/>
   <note="interchange between I-XX and I-YY"/>
   <members>
     <way5/>
     <way6/>
     <way7/>