[Talk-us] Do City Labels look funny to you?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Oct 20 01:11:24 BST 2010

On 10/19/2010 05:00 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Mike N.
> <niceman at att.net
> <mailto:niceman at att.net>> wrote:
>
>         Tom Hughes, OSM contributor and infrastructure guru has written an
>         interesting summary of why some part of OSM can look strange.
>
>         http://compton.nu/2010/10/city-labels-in-openstreetmap/
>

>     Sounds like a good project for a bot to correct to the OSM norm?
>

> On the contrary: I say all these critiques indicate the need for a
> US-specific rendering of the map that does things in a more United
> States-ey way.
>
> - Non-rectangular highway shields

This benefits more than just the US.  Mexico and Canada also have
non-rectangular shields.

> - Colors that are closer to what most other US road maps

I do appreciate the depth of detail of the OS-style coloring Mapnik
provides at-a-glance; even the USGS maps leave a lot to be desired if
you're not driving a car.  Ideally, OSM would be substantially less
mode-dependent.

> - More granular city name placement based closer on population than on
> the place tag

Ideally, we should be moving away from city centroids for tagging and go
with outlines anyway.

> - Support for route relations

I doubt this is a US-specific problem; doesn't the UK have this going ad
nauseum with the Sustrans NCN already?