[Talk-us] how to tag US townships?

Antony Pegg antthelimey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 01:54:21 BST 2010

ok, I got a question

tagging admin area / populated centers / labels in USA seems to come down to
two main tags:

admin_level and place

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Admin_level#10_admin_level_values_for_specific_countries
plus
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Place

I've ran into a problem recently fixing up my area, where either the TIGER
import, or inexperienced contributors have/are mis-tagging townships as
being, in some way, more important / more visible than Cities or Towns.

Before I go further, If you aren't sure exactly what a Township is in the
US, please read this first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Township_%28United_States%29

In rural PA (Lancaster) I am specifically dealing with a buttload of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Township_%28United_States%29#Civil_townships

>From personal experience, the best I can equate them to is neighbourhoods or
in-town areas in england.

West Lampeter is to Lancaster as Tarpots is 918 years ago) to South
Benfleet, or the Sea-front in Southend.

The problem is that currently we dont have a discrete tag for place=township
and all admin_level= are =8

so, half a question, half a statement of intent, unless someone argues me
down from the ledge...

I'm going to start using place=suburb for townships as the closest
comparison I can find
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dsuburb

thx
Ant