[Talk-us] [Tagging] how to tag US townships?

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 03:27:45 BST 2010

Aren't admin_level and place getting at slightly different things?
 admin_level is to mark official political/legal boundaries.  place is to
mark a...well...place that has a name, and the
place=city|town|village|hamlet does not necessarily align with the type of
government (if any) of the place.  From the place page:
"In most Western countries, the status of a location (whether it is a
city/town/etc.), is decided by the government, and is not a function of
size. ***But most OSM communities of those countries have made a convention
to use the population to decide which place tag to use, to ensure a more
common way of tagging across the globe, and not to end up with cities of
1000 residents for example.***"  Just like the term "township" that Ant
linked to, the same word can have different meanings in different contexts.

Brad