[Talk-us] [Tagging] how to tag US townships?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Oct 20 21:21:03 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Anthony <osm at inbox.org> writes:

>>> It sounds like you may have just found a use for the missing
>>> admin_level=7 in the US.
>>
>> What's wrong with admin_level=8?
>
> According to Wikipedia, many townships are an intermediate form of
> government below the county level but above (or sometimes merely
> separate from) a city/municipality, although it varies by state (New
> Jersey being one of the exceptions).

Pennsylvania is another one of the exceptions, and that's the state
this thread was initiated to talk about.

> So that would give us
>
> County -> admin_level=6
> Township (if they exist) -> admin_level=7
> City/municipality/town/village boundary -> admin_level=8

New Jersey and Pennsylvania townships should be at the same
admin_level as cities and boroughs.

As for "municipality", in NJ and PA, that means city, borough, or
township (or, in NJ, town or village).

Other states would potentially be different.  In Florida, towns,
cities, and villages (which are all just different terms for the same
thing, "municipality") would all be admin_level=8, because they're all
the same thing.  But Florida is not fully incorporated, so not all
areas of Florida would exist within an admin_level=8.

None of this has anything to do with place=*, which discusses
settlements, not administrative divisions.