[Talk-us] [Tagging] how to tag US townships?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Oct 20 21:47:48 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> On 10/20/2010 03:24 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
>>
>> Not all US states use the same administrative hierarchy.
>
> Yeah, but for example we use the same admin_level regardless of whether it’s
> called a county, a borough, or a parish; or a township vs. a town, etc.
>
> When we’re using different words for the same thing[1], there’s no need to
> differentiate.  It’s the thing we care about, not the word used for it.
>
> 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_civil_division

So far all (three) of the states I've checked fit fine with
admin_level=6 for county equivalent, and admin_level=8 for
municipality.

I'm not sure if that'll work for the other 47, though.  If it does,
great.  If not, use the current standards for the default and then
have a different hierarchy for the exceptions?

At the very least it would be nice to have a table outlining exactly
what "municipality" or "minor civil division" means for each state.
Is there one somewhere already?  Should I start one?