[Talk-us] Peaks

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Sat Oct 23 16:04:02 BST 2010

For a more authoritative answer took to the National Geodetic survey (NGS)

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_pid.prl

The Benchmark at the summit of Mt Cleveland has a PID of TM1009

Do note that the latitude and longitude are in DMS.SSS format not Decimal
Degrees

This benchmark was originally established in 1901 so you will find heights
and lat/longs from several different measurement systems.
These could be NGVD1929, NAD 1927, NAVD1988, NAD83, HARN, .....,  You should
record both the horizontal and vertical measurement systems in OSM for
whatever you use.

C.

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Nakor <nakor.osm at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Hello,
>
> I was looking at peaks in Glacier National Park. There are quite a few that
> have been imported from GNIS. NPS has also a database of such peaks. My
> issue is that the databases are not consistent. If I take for instance Mt
> Cleveland:
>

> GNIS:  48.9250000 , -113.8480556  3175m (10417ft)
> NPS:   48.9227541, -113.8472346   3190m (10466ft)
>
> That's a little bit more than 1/8 mile off horizontal and 50 ft off
> vertical. Is there any other source of information to try and figure out
> what is the correct data?
>
>  Thanks,
>
> N.

Carl Anderson, GISP