Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 16:46:31 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Prefix information should not go in OSM. If a renderer wants to display a
> > prefix somehow, then they can go look it up based on other information
> given
> > in the other tags on the relation.
>
> Then why do the Germans use "A 9" and "B 11" for the first two shields
> on http://ic2.pbase.com/o4/93/329493/1/57062447.MunichOct05531.JPG?

Because we're not in Europe? The common way to visually specify the
difference between our roads is with shields. Every single nav product I've
interacted with (Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing, Garmin, TomTom, and Google
Navigation to name a few) display the blue/red shields for interstates,
white with black outline shields for US routes, round white circles for
county roads, etc. They don't display the prefix (but they may use them in
routing).