Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Sat Oct 23 16:51:19 BST 2010

* Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> [2010-10-23 10:39 -0500]:
> Prefix information should not go in OSM. If a renderer wants to display a
> prefix somehow, then they can go look it up based on other information given
> in the other tags on the relation.

I think it's too late to say that prefix information doesn't belong in the
ref= tags at all, simply because that practice is so well established and
accepted in Europe.  If you're arguing about the US only, that's one of
the things I'd like to see about a consensus on.  (I'm currently compiling
an overview of the various opinions expressed in the discussion so far and
will send to the list either today or tomorrow.)

Since I don't think the European approach to ref= tags is going anywhere,
I do think whatever we do will need to be compatible with what they do.
This could be as simple as using tags that they don't and expecting the
renderers or other data consumers to alter their behavior based on the
presence or absence of those tags.

--- --
  "I like you.  You're trouble."
  "Oh, thank you.  That's the nicest thing anybody's said about me in
days."
                       -- Draal and Ivanova (Babylon 5)