[Talk-us] Possible method for identifying major US cities

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Oct 24 22:39:51 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Note that a principal city can be a town or even an
> unincorporated census-designated place.)

Oh...wait...

In my experience, the Tiger CDPs in Florida are really bad (for
instance, the CDP that my house is listed as being in is completely
wrong).  I'd imagine the Tiger CDPs of principal cities are probably
somewhat better, but I'd want a little bit more information before
saying that marking Tiger CDPs as cities is a good thing.  Personally,
I'd rather we just deleted them (at least in Florida, and without them
being hand-checked by someone familiar with the area).

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, the place=* tag. The one that's suposed to be some sort of rough
> indication of how major a place is.

I have no objection to anything you want to do with the place=* tags
so long as the boundaries of the areas are based on verifiable fact
(notwithstanding the silly census bureau's CDP designations).