[Talk-us] Route Tagging Consensus

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 02:37:28 BST 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:

> Since there's more agreement around the "US:ST:County" approach, are there
> objections to just documenting that in the wiki?

I disagree that there is agreement about this approach. As I've mentioned a
couple times, we need to have at least two tags to store this kind of
information rather than shoving everything into the ref=* or network=* tag.
Essentially it boils down to one issue: I don't want to write a string
parser to figure out what kind of shield to render on the route. To solve
the problem I need a tag to specify if it's a interstate, US route, state
road, or county road. I view this kind of tag along the same lines as the
highway=* tag. I don't know what to call it, but values would be interstate,
us_route, state_route, county_route, etc. The specific information about
what county/state it's in, the human readable name, the prefix, etc. should
all be stored in different tags (and not stuffed into one long network=*
tag).