[Talk-us] About TIGER ways in Kansas

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 04:28:35 BST 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>wrote:

> On 10/24/10 11:12 PM, Mike N. wrote:
>
>> Mike, are you specifically interested in Arkansas?  The state level
>>> data might be better than TIGER and the state is very interested in
>>> getting it into OSM.
>>>

>>  I was researching Arkansas based on some SOTM-US 2010 discussions. Other
>> than that, I don't have local knowledge of the area or know any active
>> mappers there.
>>
>>  Arkansas could be interesting in the sense that  the state data includes
>> a full set of current (and accurate?) county centerlines.   It could serve
>> as the prototype to develop tools and methods to bring in TIGER 2010 data
>> from other areas.
>>
> if you're interested in the challenges of imports, perhaps the osm us
> technical & imports and working group is worth looking into:
>

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/United_States/Working_Groups/Technical

Thanks for taking the words out of my mouth Richard! I was going to suggest
this.

After I'm done traveling this month I plan on starting at least a thread on
the mailing list here (the goal being a telephone call or similar) to talk
about an import tool that would handle all or most of these issues.