[Talk-us] Interstate exit junction tagging

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Tue Oct 26 02:44:32 BST 2010

The official current Wiki convention for interstate tagging
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Interstate_Highways has the exit sign
information being placed in the name= tag.   The motorway_junction tag
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_junction
introduces a new exit_to= tag to record exit sign destinations.

  There was no response to a question on the tagging list as to whether the
name= should contain all exit destinations from the sign.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-October/005207.html

   Some have commented that placing exit sign information in the name
results in a cluttered map because the name renders instead of the ref.   I
agree with this.    Since I believe the name={signInfo] is a US-only
convention and there are no other strong opinions, we should look at
changing this.   If there are no other comments, I'll outline the steps
we'll need to go through to change this.