Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Tue Oct 26 06:44:43 BST 2010

Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Val Kartchner <val42k at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Second, let's decide if we should render the route numbers in route-type
>> specific shields.  I think that we should do so.  Let's not let Google,
>> MapQuest and Bing be a ceiling, but instead a floor.
>
> No for state roads in general. Some shields are poorly-designed for
> display in a limited number of pixels. For example
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Colorado_7.svg is four times
> the size a simple rectangle would be.

I have to agree... most state road shields with the outline of the state
have too much detail to be legible when they're small, which is why I
almost always see them rendered as a circle/oval.  I'd say that's pretty
standard across the US.

Maybe at the very highest zoom levels we could switch to the
state-specific shields?
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \