Val Kartchner val42k at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 08:17:10 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 01:27 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Val Kartchner <val42k at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Second, let's decide if we should render the route numbers in route-type
> > specific shields.  I think that we should do so.  Let's not let Google,
> > MapQuest and Bing be a ceiling, but instead a floor.
>
> No for state roads in general. Some shields are poorly-designed for
> display in a limited number of pixels. For example
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Colorado_7.svg is four times
> the size a simple rectangle would be.

Attached are the bitmaps of the shield that is "poorly-designed for
display in a limited number of pixels."  The first one is 39x39 pixels,
and the second is 20x20 pixels.  Both are quite readable.

These were both reduced to bitmaps using the SVG file you gave me using
Inkscape.  If there are any shields that don't work well this way, the
blank shields can be redrawn manually.  The same for any unclear digits.
Then the renderer can put these pieces together.  But this is only if
the simple solution (demonstrated by the attachments) doesn't work.

Any other objections to my suggestion?

- Val -