[Talk-us] stop signs

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 15:17:17 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Adam Schreiber <sadam at clemson.edu> wrote:
> I think that 4-way and 3-way stops can be handled unambiguously by
> highway=stop.  More complex stops should probably be modeled with turn
> restrictions.
>
> type=restriction
> restriction=stop
> roles=from,to,via

But a stop sign isn't a restriction; it has the main effect of slowing
average speed. If our router is so precise that the seconds added by a
stop sign count, it can easily calculate the nearest intersection to
each stop sign node to figure out the likely direction. But for
practical purposes simply halving the number of stop sign nodes passed
should be enough.

What's wrong with something like highway:forward=stop or
highway:backward=stop for the node where one must stop?