Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Oct 26 18:02:58 BST 2010

On 10/26/2010 10:50 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> The actual size of a circular 7 shield generated by Mapnik.

Yeah, but is it set in stone that it Cannot Be Larger Than It Is Now?  I
doubt it.  And I feel that gaining the ability to have state-specific
shields is worth giving up a tiny bit of space.

>> Is it not possible to render an icon at any size we want?  Yes, if it’s too
>> big it will not work on the map, but I think 20×20 is quite reasonable (and
>> readable).
>
> It's a tradeoff where bigger shields reduce the space for other features.

Sure, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t adjust to give a little more
space to highway shields.

Not that we have to or should follow the lead of other map sites, but it
seems like 17×17 is a pretty bare minimum.

Mapquest US highway: 24×22
Mapquest Interstate: 22×23
Mapquest generic state: 22×18

Google US highway: 22×22