Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Oct 26 18:42:24 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> On 10/26/2010 12:15 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
>>
>> These rendering decisions are completely unrelated to the discussion
>> of how shields might best be tagged.
>
> This portion of the thread clearly moved on to a different but related topic
> as soon as someone said “Some shields are poorly-designed for
> display in a limited number of pixels”.  Thanks though.

It moved when someone said "let's decide if we should render the route
numbers in route-type specific shields".

As for the question of tagging, basically you can use relations, or
you can hack something up to simulate relations (specifically, to
handle the very common situation where there is more than one route
using the same way) without actually using relations.

Then there's the trivial question as to whether to include the prefix
along with the route number, or to store it separately.  The answer:
it doesn't matter.  Pick one.  Flip a coin.  Do a survey to see which
is more common.  Who cares?

Then there's the question of how to render it.  Probably something to
discuss on a different list, like a mapnik-specific one.