Val Kartchner val42k at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 07:15:53 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 13:15 -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> > On 10/26/2010 10:50 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>
> >> It's a tradeoff where bigger shields reduce the space for other features.
> >
> > Sure, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t adjust to give a little more space
> > to highway shields.
>
> These rendering decisions are completely unrelated to the discussion
> of how shields might best be tagged.

Easy: Use "ref=" tag.  Anything before final non-alphanumeric is the
network, and anything after is what is put in the shield.  I proposed
this a few weeks ago and no one has provided a counter example that
doesn't work with this simple method.

Examples:

ref=		network	identifier
US:I-15		US:I	15
US:US 89	US:US	89
US:UT:SR-67	US:UT:SR 67
US:NH:3A	US:NH	3A
US:MI:M-6	US:MI:M	6
UK:A A4		UK:A	A4

If you object to having all of this in one tag, put the identifier in
the "ref=" tag and the network in "highway:network=" tag.  Simple for
people to enter.  Simple for computers to parse.

- Val -