[Talk-us] Interstate exit junction tagging

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Wed Oct 27 16:45:27 BST 2010

Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> writes:

> On 10/26/2010 06:42 AM, Phil! Gold wrote:
>> * Mike N. <niceman at att.net> [2010-10-25 21:44 -0400]:
>>> Since I believe the name={signInfo] is a US-only convention and there
>>> are no other strong opinions, we should look at changing this.
>>
>> I like the idea of putting the immediately-connected road in the exit_to=
>> tag and leaving the rest of the sign's text to destination sign relations.
>> I fully agree that some people's current practice (including mine in the
>> past) makes for a very clittered map and needs improvement.
>
> Seems like the result you're looking for could be solved automatically
> by the renderers if they just displayed the exit numbers unless absent,
> then show the name...

I believe this is already what they do (at least Mapnik anyway).

Honestly, though, I'm not sure any kind of destination label belongs on
the map, except maybe at the very maximum zoom level.  As others have
said, it makes the map too crowded.

It's /very/ useful for routing, though.  I would love for my satnav to
tell me "take the exit for 10th Street" and then shut up, because it
knows I can just follow the signs.
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \