[Talk-us] Venues for State of the Map US and International Conferences (Peter Batty)

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sun Sep 12 03:37:04 BST 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Katie Filbert <filbertk at gmail.com> wrote:

> (if not, maybe Havana? -
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_2011/Bid/Havana,_Cuba )

Not that I have anything personal against Cuba, but having SOTM in
Cuba would severely limit the participation by U.S. citizens.

>From what I have read here:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/ascii/cuba.txt

U.S. citizens need to apply for special licenses to travel to Cuba and
they are only granted under special circumstances.  Section F.2
"Professional meetings organized by an international professional
organization" would seem to be the relevant section, except that only
applies to "full time professionals" which I doubt applies to most
U.S. OSMers.

--
Jeff Ollie